Vivos Sleep Apnea Treatment – Greenfield, MA
Convenient, Noninvasive, and Long-Lasting OSA Relief
Exercise, nutrition, and sleep are the three pillars of a healthy lifestyle. While you may have ample control over what you eat and how much you move, getting enough sleep may be more challenging — especially if you suffer from obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). Fortunately, the experts at BGH Dental are ready to help you find long-lasting relief from OSA with the innovative Vivos oral appliance system.
The OSA Epidemic
OSA is a condition wherein the tissues in the throat overrelax during sleep, causing brief periods of not breathing throughout the night. People with OSA may experience dozens or even hundreds of these episodes, called apneas, each night. In contrast, people with normal, non-disordered breathing experience an average of 0 – 4 apneas or hypopneas (periods of shallow breathing) per hour each night.
OSA is much more common than most people think. In fact, according to one estimate, about 25 million Americans have some form of sleep apnea. However, that may be underestimating the problem. Another statistic estimates that up to 80 percent of moderate to severe cases go undiagnosed.
How the Vivos System Works
The most common OSA treatment is a CPAP machine, which keeps the airway open with the use of pressurized air. Often, CPAP users must rely on their machine indefinitely. Vivos in Greenfield is different. Rather than just addressing OSA symptoms, it aims to correct the anatomical defects that lead to apneas.
The Vivos system is based on the science of Pneumopedics, which focuses on remodeling the upper airway via the use of specialized oral appliances. The appliance can actually reshape the dental arches in a way that promotes the free flow of air.
Here are a few notes on how Vivos works and its benefits:
- It is noninvasive and nonsurgical. Vivos appliances use gentle pressure to reshape your oral structures. The treatment is very comfortable and causes no harm to the teeth.
- The results are long-lasting. Many patients need no further OSA therapy after they complete their Vivos treatment (which typically takes 12 – 24 months).
- Improvements in breathing happen quickly. Although the complete Vivos protocol takes quite a while, you should notice improvements in your breathing within the first few weeks.
Is Vivos Right for You?
After completing a thorough evaluation, your Vivos team will let you know whether this type of treatment is a fit for your circumstances. In general, candidates for Vivos:
- Suffer from mild to moderate sleep apnea in Greenfield
- Have OSA due to anatomical abnormalities that restrict airflow in the upper airway
- Are looking for a permanent way to address their OSA
Also, keep in mind that patients of all ages, even children, may benefit from Vivos. Vivos’ Healthy Start protocol may even be a viable, lower-cost alternative to traditional braces for children who suffer from OSA due to dental misalignment.
Would you like to learn more about the Vivos system and how it may be able to help you find freedom from sleep apnea? Contact BGH Dental today to schedule your personalized consultation.